The Wonderful Wisdom of Becoming a Child Again

Scholar baby with globe and mortarboard

I was observing my 10 month old boy recently and was fascinated by how much I learned from him about myself and adults in general.

The things I noticed about my boy were:

• very attentive, inquisitive and observant
  • very aware of his surroundings and will instantly react to anything that captures his attention, be it sound, sight or smell
  • has no fear in exploring and interacting with anything
  • joyful and playful spirit
  • learns something new every day because of the above

It then struck me that most adults have lost these basic instincts and beneficial attributes of childhood.  Obviously, boundaries through guidance of the child must be laid down eventually, but in most cases we have all but conditioned our children’s minds to become dull, unaware and fearful by the time they reach adulthood.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not blaming (well, maybe I am) parents, teachers and other authority figures for the sorry state of the world, but we must be careful not to impose too much of ourselves onto our children which can debilitate their own personal growth.  After all, don’t we all want to produce wise, intelligent, conscious adults who can make this world better than it is now?

We as adults can learn so much from children and from the way their minds work.

Each and every adult should ask themselves:

1. How wonderful would it be if my mind and spirit could “become the child” once again instead of the opposite?
  2. How much better would my life be if my mind was as sensitive, fearless, free, fresh and alive as a child’s mind?
  3. How much more would I learn in life if I was as attentive, inquisitive and observant as a child?
  4. How much joy would I take out of life if I had the spirit of a child?

This should make you think twice before dismissing children as just mindless playthings.

From now on, I don’t think I will be taking myself too seriously in life.  Thank you, my son for teaching me a very important lesson…just don’t ask me to change your nappy or wipe your nose after this.

10 Comments

1. HP says:

Wow, great post. Needed that reminder!

2. Jason Cooper says:

Thanks HP! For me, I don’t want to be reminded too much about my childhood as it will also remind me that I’m getting old.

3. Hi Jason, I like your post. And you are right, we both wrote an article on how much we can learn from our children.

4. Jason Cooper says:

Thanks Patrick!

I guess wise minds think alike!

5. Fatima Da says:

Great post… and children are yes a bless… and how nice if only we adults do ask ourselves those 4 points you raised…..

6. Jason Cooper says:

Thanks Fatima, and yes, children are a welcome blessing of wisdom indeed!

7. Socrates says:

Excellent post, my friend, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Great minds do think alike! 😉

8. David Powell says:

Thanks Jason…GREAT POST!!! You confirmed in our path as parents that my wife and I are excellent parents and more folks should wake up to consciously choose to spend more time with their kids since that is the MOST IMPORTANT JOB we undertake. This is a poem my 14 year old son and I wrote about a month ago. DA DUDE ABIDES…LOL (shameless plug here)…Started a group on Facebook called, TRUTH SEEKERS AND SOLUTION IMPLEMENTORS. Feel free to sign up…LOL…Oh yeah, the poem…targeted to haters and baiters getting in our way…LOL Thanks again and keep up the EXCELLENT WORK with your boy…

ASSUME THE POSITION BY LEVI & DAVID POWELL 2/26/11

TALK THE WALK. BORED OF THE BECK CHALK JUST USE A MIKE.
    EVERYDAY WE ALL GOT SOMETHING TO SAY LIKE
    TURN OFF THE NEWS AND UNITE. FOR LOVE IS THE COUNTERATTACK
    WISDOM IS MORE VALUABLE THAN PROVING YOUR RIGHT
    FACEBOOK IS THE PLATFORM WHERE A PUNK CAN FINISH A FIGHT
    FREEDOM FROM TYRANNY, EVIL AND OPPRESSION
    LISTENING TO WISE COUNSEL CAN MINIMIZE DEPRESSION
    DO WHAT YOU LIKE. CINDY and I ENJOY A STROLL AT NIGHT
    MEDIA AND HATERZ SELL FEAR TO BLIND TRUE LIGHT.

9. Jason Cooper says:

@David,

Thanks once again, my friend.

Yes, my son has taught me much wisdom and knowledge regarding myself and my attitude as an adult.

You maybe interested in another post regarding philosophical parenting here:

10. David Powell says:

All over that Jason…Thanks again…YEE HAW from DALLAS!!!

“In all ages, in all lands, there have been those who seek truth.
    This seeking is an individual’s search for something more than self,
    and much more than the confines of this worldly system.
    It is the seeker, who understands there is more than what meets the eye,
    who is not afraid and makes the choice to go into the unknown.
    The process of awaking has begun,
    the discovery is underway.”
    2008 – Alan Watt – A Course in Deprogramming