Living Consciously in a Technological World

Consciousness of NatureLiving consciously is, perhaps, nigh on impossible in today’s digital age.  It’s hard not to notice that technology has advanced tremendously in the past 100 years or so.

Since entering into the 21st century almost a decade ago, the age of communication has risen phenomenally and has, at the same time, made the planet a smaller place in terms of networking with other human beings in every part of the globe.

What troubles me is that most of us have become all so dependent on technology for everyday tasks (well, I’m typing this blog on a computer, aren’t I), as well as allowing it to affect our emotional state detrimentally if it dares go wrong – as I have witnessed many a time happen to staff members at my workplace.

The thing I’ve observed is that we have allowed our own consciousness to be superceded by this technology, something that in the long run, I feel, will do us more harm than good.

Technology has its benefits but certain questions must be asked in terms of our own general interaction with it and personal growth:

1. Have we become psychologically and socially more aware of ourselves and surroundings because of technology?

2. Do we actually use our brains more than we did before the advancement of technology?

3. Can technology enhance our spiritual growth and wisdom of mind?

For me, the answer is a big fat “NO” to all the questions above.  You are absolutely free to disagree with my sentiments, so if you have any complaints either email, fax, text, or twitter me on whatever mode of technology you so wish to use.

Before you rush off to do just that, let me first ask you an observational question, which may or may not change your minds: have you ever noticed anyone (or even yourself) in the street who is so engrossed into their latest fashion accessory (iPhone, Blackberry, Mp3 player, etc) that they are completely unaware of their surroundings?  I have noticed, so much so that I have seen people almost run over in the road because they were so distracted – or on a more annoying scale, bumping into me without even the little so-and-so’s realising and apologising for it.

A recommended book that comes to mind and is relevant to my observations on technology distracting the human mind is Distraction: Being Human in the Digital Age which focuses on our obsession with technology in our everyday lives and it’s possible negative effects on us and society as a whole.

So, we must learn to strike a fine balance between the use of these machines and being conscious of ourselves, nature and human relationships.  Technology should be only used as a tool to do certain tasks and not it to become a way of life.  Personally, I’ve got a lot to learn in that regard.

For the sake of future generations we, who at present have forced upon them this technological beast, must be careful not to teach them just that.  Encouraging within tomorrow’s children human wisdom, consciousness and spirituality would benefit this world a whole lot more than just teaching them to become mindless mechanical beings who have knowledge of computers but not of themselves.

Surely, if we can succeed in imparting wisdom into their impressionable minds they will hopefully learn to respect and look after the planet, and not just their machines.

I will leave you with a quote from the late philosopher, Alan Watts which should wake you up from out of your self-imposed prison of The Matrix.

“Inability to accept the mystic experience is more than an intellectual handicap. Lack of awareness of the basic unity of organism and environment is a serious and dangerous hallucination. For in a civilization equipped with immense technological power, the sense of alienation between man and nature leads to the use of technology in a hostile spirit—to the “conquest” of nature instead of intelligent co-operation with nature.”

~ Alan Watts, Psychedelics and Religious Experience

9 Comments

1. Fatima Da says:

I will like to vote 50; 50 on this and here is why, technology say the internet is obviously packed with information, it has allowed some of us to engage our and minds either in a derogatory or a productive manner. Technology can enhance our knowledge wisdom and spiritual growth …… as we can easily obtain as much information as possible via technology and the Bible says faith comes by understanding.

2. Jason Cooper says:

I thank you for your opinion, my dear Fatima, and I more than welcome your thoughts that I can surely learn from.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that technology has it’s uses in regards learning wisdom and talking with likeminded people, otherwise I wouldn’t have created this blog. But I was more looking at the perspective of people, or the younger generation even, who have become accustom to using technology as a way of life, which can amount to them neglecting their own self and nature in the long term.

With the advent of these social networks such as Facebook, Twitter (and these can be addictive to the human mind if used long enough) – who needs to form real relationships or the need to think for yourself? We have the computer that can do that for us. This, I feel, is a dangerous precedence for the human mind.

I just feel that more should be more done to encourage the children to go back to basics and learn about themselves through relationship with nature, themselves and with others.

So turn off your computer tool just for today, take a walk down to your local park and exercise your mind, body and spirit.

3. fatima Da says:

Oo I get you now , and I do agree with you more has to be done to encourage our children to go back to the basics ….. The sense and abilty to tune into nature.. I did not think in terms of our lovely children when I was reading this post …….

4. It’s interesting how people look for solutions in technology and science, when the real solutions lie in nature. They want knowledge faster, information faster, enlightenment faster, when what they really need is to slow down.

5. […] Cooper presents Living Consciously in a Technological World posted at KnowledgeReform.com, a blog about self improvement, self help and inspirational […]

6. Thanks for the interesting article. While technologies have helped us to do things faster, the time saved up didn’t actually manifest as more time for leisure. Instead, we use the extra time to do more work, or to chase after more things in life, instead of just being us. How ironic.

7. Jason Cooper says:

Thanks for reading, and you’re quite correct.

Although technology is suppose to make things easier, it somehow makes life more complicated as well as giving more stress to the frustrated end-user.

Companies also take advantage of this technology, especially as now they can provide laptops and every other communication device to their employees so that work can be done on the move, home and the workplace.

8. buddha's remedy says:

the root of technology came from the mind of the human being…so in the wrong hands.nothing will ever get right….but this article tripped me out…thanks for this link jason…i like it…but in all this article points to me directly that with all this super high tech fast technology…patience becomes more of a prisoner..melting deeply within the uncontrolled soul…teach patience…patience takes away all the fear of being late to work..what to have for dinner..what to do tomorrow…”time flows in the presence of patience..time flies in the absence of consciousness..” < just made that up..

9. Jason Cooper says:

@Buddha, “Patience” is indeed a great virtue, and is something that is missing within man who wishes nothing more than to become god through his technological advancements – something he wishes to achieve in next to no time.

However, technology will not save him nor make him god – it will more than likely end up destroying him and the rest of us – his very own “Frankenstein’s Monster”.